Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What is your creed? Part 3

The Apostles Creed is probably one of the oldest recited creeds, dating back to the 1st Century (about 140 AD). The legend was that the creed took shape at the dictation of the Twelve Apostles, each of whom contributed a special article. Thus, Peter, it was alleged, under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, commenced, “I believe in God the Father Almighty”; Andrew (or according to others, John) continued, “And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord”; James the elder went on, “Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,” etc. This legend is not older than the 5th or 6th centuries. This is purely legend and cannot be substantiated through scripture.

Singer and songwriter Rich Mullins put the Apostles Creed to music and it is one of my favorites.

Creed by Rich Mullins

I believe in God the Father almighty
Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth
And in Jesus Christ
His only begotten Son, our Lord
He was conceived by the Holy Spirit
Born of the virgin Mary
Suffered under Pontius Pilate
He was crucified and dead and buried

CHORUS:
And I believe what I believe
Is what makes me what I am
I did not make it, no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not
The invention of any man

I believe that He who suffered
Was crucified, buried, and dead
He descended into hell and
On the third day, rose again
He ascended into Heaven where
He sits at God's mighty right hand
I believe that He's returning to
Judge the quick and the dead
Of the sons of men

CHORUS:

I believe in God the Father almighty
Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth
And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son,
Our Lord
I believe in the Holy Spirit
One Holy Church, the communion of Saints
The forgiveness of sin
I believe in the resurrection
I believe in a life that never ends

I believe it, I believe
I believe it, I believe
I believe it, I believe it

I graduated from a non-denominational Christian University and before chapel each day we would recite the University Creed. In coming freshman were required to memorize it and also write it word perfect as part of orientation class. It is very similar to the Apostles Creed;

"I believe in the inspiration of the Bible (both the Old and the New Testaments); the creation of man by the direct act of God; the incarnation and virgin birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ; His identification as the Son of God; His vicarious atonement for the sins of mankind by the shedding of His blood on the cross; the resurrection of His body from the tomb; His power to save men from sin; the new birth through the regeneration by the Holy Spirit; and the gift of eternal life by the grace of God."

I mentioned in my previous post that this can be and was initially inspirational but as time went on I was struck by the robotic or mechanical nature in which we recited it. In his song Rich Mullins states; “…I did not make it, no it is making me…” meaning that our Creed, what we believe should change or conform us to the image of the one we claim to believe in. Is your Creed “making you”? Is it making you and I echo the words of the Apostle Paul in Galatians 2:20 or is it just business as usual?

“Go put your creed into your deed, Nor speak with double tongue.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 Peter 1:16 “For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.”

No comments:

Post a Comment