Sunday, March 7, 2010

What's your motivation?

“That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;” ~ Philippians 3:10

Throughout literature and history we have examples of people being obsessed with an agenda, interest or activity, and in most cases to their detriment. An obsession is defined as; “a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling; broadly : a compelling motivation.” In literature we have the example of Captain Ahab pursuing the white whale to his ultimate demise; or in the Count of Monte Cristo the main character Edmond Dantes is driven by his desire for revenge. In Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea the main character and his tiny skiff are pulled out into the gulf stream by a giant marlin, and he tries in vain to make it back to shore before sharks devour his prize catch. In the Lord of the Rings no one is more obsessed with the ring than Gollum and Sauron and this preoccupation leads to their demise. Don Quixote is obsessed with books on chivalry and goes on quests to win the favor of the fair Dulcinea by slaying imaginary dragons. His obsession has even coined the phrase “tilting at windmills” that we apply to people who are pursuing hopeless and ill fated causes.

The Bible is full of examples of individuals obsessed with retaining their power, money, revenge and a specific agenda. We need to look no further than King Saul’s obsession with killing David. Saul’s obsession with retaining his power and position led to willful disobedience and he grew impatient waiting for God and tried to do things his own way. Haman’s hatred of Mordecai compelled him to try and trap and kill his “rival”, and the very gallows he had built to hang Mordecai were used on him. David’s obsession with Bathsheba led him into the sin of adultery and ultimately murder to cover it up. Whether it's a momentary lapse of judgment or a habitual action, obsessions can lead us on a downward spiral.

The New Testament chronicles the plotting and scheming of the Sanhedrin or religious leaders of Israel and their obsession with retaining power and their control. They used the very rulers they hated and despised as their allies to capture and crucify Jesus Christ. And the Apostle Paul’s testimony and life history first shows a man who was zealous to the point of cruel and murderous obsession with his objective of stamping out the Gospel and the person and work of Jesus Christ,(Acts 8:1-3). Ultimately though after he encounters the risen Christ on the road to Damascus in Acts 9:1-22 he comes to the realization that he was persecuting the very Messiah that he spent years studying about.

One of my favorite songs is titled “Magnificent Obsession” and I frequently listen to is almost like a prayer;

Lord, You know how much
I want to know so much
In the way of answers and explanations
I have cried and prayed
And still I seem to stay
In the middle of life’s complications
All this pursuing leaves me feeling
like I’m chasing down the wind
But now it’s brought me back to You
And I can see again
This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession
So capture my heart again
Take me to depths I’ve never been
Into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
Return me to the cross
And let me be completely lost
In the wonder of the love
That You’ve shown me
Cut through these chains that tie
me down to so many lesser things
Let all my dreams fall to the ground
Until this one remains
You are everything I want
And You are everything I need
Lord, You are all my heart desires
You are everything to me
You are everything I want
You are everything I need
I want You to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You
I want it all to be for You

Many of the individuals mentioned whether real or literary spent their every waking moment driven by their obsession. Some obsessions can be healthy but they can border on actually become an idol in our lives. It is what was on their mind from sunrise to sunset and they pursued it with a laser like focus. What are we obsessed with and what is our driving motivation that compels us each day? Is it the pursuit of money, power, status, politics, standards and preferences, or feeding our passions and desires. Is what we are obsessed with shining the light on Jesus Christ or on ourselves?

Are we obsessed with knowing Jesus Christ and the power of His resurrection or are we obsessed with checking up on other people and what they are doing to meet our expectations? Do the people that know us see what motivates us and does it honor and glorify God? Are we obsessed with the pearl of great price? (Matthew 13:44-46) Is Jesus Christ our Magnificent Obsession?

No comments:

Post a Comment