Thursday, April 1, 2010

A new song

“And looking up, they saw that the stone had been rolled back--it was very large. And entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, dressed in a white robe, and they were alarmed. And he said to them, "Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him.” ~ Mark 16:4-6

One of my favorite hymn writers is Robert Lowry who wrote the words and music for many well known Gospel hymns. When I was a pre-teen my father was the choir director and song leader at our church, and we would periodically have a “Singspiration” during our evening service. In Protestant circles a singspiration is when the entire service is simply singing hymns and choruses as a means of worshipping God and praising Him in music and song. My dad would devote a portion of the service to audience participation and would tell the congregation to raise their hands if they had a favorite that they wanted to sing. I would always shoot up my hand and ask if we could sing hymn number 311; a Robert Lowry hymn titled “Nothing but the Blood of Jesus”.

Robert Lowry was an American professor of literature, a composer of hymns and gospel songs. He did become well known as a brilliant preacher, and while he did love music and hymnology, he always viewed it as an avocation or hobby. He was a pastor of churches in Brooklyn, West Chester, PA and New Jersey. He also served as the president of the New Jersey Baptist Sunday School Union from 1880 to 1886.

Lowry composed and wrote over 500 gospel songs and hymns, but is probably better know for collaborating with the great hymn writer Fanny Crosby on the song “All the Way My Savior Leads Me.” Wikipedia states that; “Despite his success as a hymn writer, it was as a preacher that Lowry would have preferred to be recognized. He once stated: "Music, with me has been a side issue... I would rather preach a gospel sermon to an appreciative audience than write a hymn. I have always looked upon myself as a preacher and felt a sort of depreciation when I began to be known more as a composer." But, however, it is as a hymn writer that he remains renowned.” For more info on Lowry I would suggest Kenneth W. Osbeck’s “101 More Hymn Stories: The Inspiring True Stories Behind 101 Favorite Hymns".

A favorite Easter composition and hymn about the resurrection of Jesus Christ is his song known today as “Christ Arose”. Lowry based it on Mark 16 when Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James came to the garden tomb to anoint the body of Christ. They came and found the stone rolled away and an angel telling them that Jesus Christ had risen!

Christ Arose (Low in the gave He lay)
Robert Lowry 1826-1899

Low in the grave He lay,
Jesus my Savior,
Waiting the coming day,
Jesus my Lord!
Refrain:
Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph o’er His foes,
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,
And He lives forever, with His saints to reign.
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!

Vainly they watch His bed,
Jesus my Savior;
Vainly they seal the dead,
Jesus my Lord!
Refrain

Death cannot keep its Prey,
Jesus my Savior;
He tore the bars away,
Jesus my Lord!
Refrain

If you have not noticed yet, I love music. But most of all I love music that has lyrics rich with Gospel truths about the person and work of Jesus Christ. Through the mercy and grace that God has shown me through His Son, Jesus Christ I can echo the words of David in Psalm 40:3; “…he has put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God…”

"He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay.” ~ Matthew 28:6

No comments:

Post a Comment