Monday, April 19, 2010

Should I stay or should I go?

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." ~ Groucho Marx

"Most people have some sort of religion—at least they know which church they're staying away from." ~ John Erskine

When you are a kid you typically are privy to conversations the surrounding adults do not necessarily want you to listen to or hear. But that does not seem to stop them from saying things in front of those impressionable young minds. That was the case during my youth, and sadly I think I have followed the example of my elders and done the same thing as a parent. One discussion that I would typically over hear from both those that attended church and also those that did not, was the reason that they did not go to church was because it was full of hypocrites. While that may be true the thought that typically occurs to me, (but I refrain from saying), is why would that stop you; we could always use one more.

When I talk with friends and co-workers about why do they dislike church and organized religion the topic of hypocrisy is often mentioned. Back in 2008 the Southern Baptist Convention conducted a survey that found that 72% of adults believed that God exists. The survey also found that 72% said they do not attend church because they say it is full of hypocrites. I appreciate this quote by John Roberts; “It's nice to know that God has rounded up all the hypocrites and put them in church buildings — at least on Sunday mornings — so that all the people in the world who have pristine motives and clear consciences don't have to put up with them.” I think if we are honest with ourselves we have to admit that the “religious” have not cornered the market on hypocrisy in this world. We need to look no further than our own home to witness people who live out the adage of “do what I say not what I do.” Try as we may we cannot always live out our personal beliefs no matter how diligent we may be.

The dictionary definition of hypocrite is “a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion” or “a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.” With out a doubt there is hypocrisy on display among those who are religious and are regular church attendees. When Jesus was queried in Matthew 9 by the Pharisees about His association with sinners his reply in verse 12 was; "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.” The vast majority of people I attend church with recognize that we are in need of help with our sin and our hypocrisy and that is a key reason we chose to attend; we know we have a problem and we are looking for a solution.

I have always found it puzzling that other groups fail to recognize their own hypocrisy. Take for example someone who believes in survival of the fittest or natural selection. If you adhere to social Darwinism that only the strong, biggest and best should survive then why would you want to protect endangered species? If the snail darter and spotted owl cannot adapt and overcome then tough luck for them. If they cannot cut it then why do they deserve to live? If social Darwinism is the answer than why do we care about the plight of those experiencing genocide in Darfur, world hunger or honor killings? My only point is that hypocrisy is not reserved only among the “religious”. If you believe in nihilism; that life has no purpose, meaning or intrinsic value, then why is universal health care for example even necessary? It just seems we are delaying the inevitable, so let's just get on with it. Please note my tongue is planted firmly in my cheek. We should care for all of creation, but especially for humanity who was created in God's image.

The word hypocrite is mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible, and the Hebrew word chaneph which is an adjective that is translated to mean godless, profane and irreligious. In the New Testament it takes on a much different meaning. It meant generally, in classical Greek, stage playing, acting, the histrionic art; hence, it came to mean acting a part in life. It carried with it the idea of wearing a mask or masking your true identity. In general, the meaning is acting a part, false, deceptive and deceived, formally and outwardly religious and good, but inwardly insincere and unrighteous.

In most cases where it is used in the New Testament it is used by Jesus Christ to describe those that felt they were the religious elite. He was describing the religious people that believed that their pious actions and appearance made them special in the sight of God and earned His favor. The true follower of Jesus Christ knows that it is “not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,” (Titus 3:5).

Attending church with my so-called fellow "hypocrites" is a source of great encouragement and joy to me. It is not that misery loves company; rather it is those who have been freed from their former miserable condition revel in the company of others who have also tasted that same joy and freedom from sin’s bondage. I don’t go to church because it makes me better than anyone else; I go because I know that I am not. Like John Newton stated; “I remember two things--that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior."

What is the real reason we do not attend church? Blaming it on all the hypocrites seems a bit disingenuous since we all fail to consistently live out our stated beliefs or feelings. Don’t use that as an excuse. Salvation is not based on the imperfect but on the perfect; the perfect life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

“Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!” ~ Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment