Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Time in a bottle

“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand—and melting like a snow flake.” ~ Francis Bacon

“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.” ~ Ephesians 5:15-16

As my wife and I were turning in for the night she remarked that in previous era’s we both have probably exceeded our life expectancy. Now that idea may seem discouraging to some, but for me I find that encouraging and inspiring. Through the miracle of modern science and the providence and grace of God the average life span for men and women has exponentially increased over the centuries. Have you stopped to consider why God is allowing us to live longer in this century and for what possible purpose?

What child (or adult) has not contemplated time travel or living in another time period? If you are Shirley MacLaine you already have, but I digress. While living in another era may sound like a lark, stop and ponder the average life expectancy in other time periods. If we lived in Classical Greece, Rome, Medieval times or even Colonial America our life would typically come to an end before we reached 30. Even up to the 1800’s the average life span did not exceed 40 years of age. But starting in the 1900’s it increased to 47 and increased each century to where in our current time the average life span has reached 76 years of age.

The Bible mentions the word "time" in more than 600 instances. Do we ever stop and consider the great gift of time we have been granted by God? Do we ever take a moment to contemplate just how we are using that time for His honor and glory? I am a history buff and one of the things that occasionally startles me is how God greatly used people at what I consider a very young age. But what I have convenient forgotten is that maybe these individuals had candles that burned brightly because they remembered their Creator in the days of their youth, (Ecclesiastes 12:1), and knew their time was limited to serve God. We in turn seem to fritter away our time and then get “serious about God” when we get older because we see the day light fading.

Many of us have heard the lines from Charles Thomas Studd’s poem “Only One Life” where he pens; “Only one life, ‘twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.” Below is the poem in it’s entirety and it is worth contemplation.

Author: Charles Thomas Studd (1860-1931)
Missionary to China, India, and Africa

Two little lines I heard one day,
Traveling along life's busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart,
And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one,
Soon will it's fleeting hours be done;
Then, in 'that day' my Lord to meet,
And stand before His Judgment seat;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice,
Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave,
And to God's holy will to cleave;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, a few brief years,
Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its clays I must fulfill
Living for self or in His will;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

When this bright world would tempt me sore,
When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way,
Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Give me Father, a purpose deep,
In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
Faithful and true what e'er the strife,
Pleasing Thee in my daily life;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Oh let my love with fervor burn,
And from the world now let me turn;
Living for Thee, and Thee alone,
Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one,
Now let me say, "Thy will be done";
And when at last I'll hear the call,
I know I'll say "twas worth it all";
Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
Only what's done for Christ will last.

Singer and song writer Jim Croce wrote a song in the 70’s called “Time in a Bottle” and some of the lyrics state; “But there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them. I’ve looked around enough to know that you’re the one I want to go through time with.” Croce wrote these lyrics and never got the opportunity to see his creation become a hit on the pop charts. He died at age 30 in a plane crash. He says he looked around to find the one he wanted to go through time with, yet to my knowledge he tragically died not placing his trust in Jesus Christ and did not consider who and where he would spend all of eternity.

For the believer we need to keep in the forefront of our minds that God has granted our generation the amazing gift of more time; time that can be used to share the Gospel with a lost and dying world and time that can be spent honoring and glorifying God. Placing our faith in Jesus Christ gives us the greater gift of enjoying God forever.

I occasionally look back ruefully at my youth and wish I would have spent my time differently. But like Paul states in Philippians 3:13-14 I need to forget those things which are behind and press toward the mark. I know that each day I have left is a blessing from God and my desire is to burn brightly for Him. How are you and I redeeming the time? Don’t come to the end of your life with regret with the tragic thought of; “I’ve wasted it.”

“But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” ~ 2 Peter 3:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment